Frontline Food Safety -- Online Training
Enrolment in the course is valid for 90 days. The certification exam must be written within 90 days anytime after the training has been completed.
There is an additional fee for the certification exam. For more information about the certification exam, please open the "Certification Exam" panel.
For Individual Learners
You may enter the course directly by clicking the button below. If you are not already enrolled you will be prompted to enter an enrolment key or pay for immediate enrolment using a credit card or PayPal. The cost of the course is $45.95* + applicable taxes.
Note: if you do not have an account on this web site you will be prompted to create one before you can enrol in any of the courses we offer.
Purchase Multiple Enrollment Keys
You can purchase multiple enrolment keys for your employees or students at our online store the FoodSafetyMarket. This option can also be used if you are planning to pay for training for someone else. Enrolment keys purchased through the online store will be delivered via email within 1 - 2 business days. The cost on an enrolment key for this course is $45.95* + applicable taxes. Enrolment keys do NOT expire; however, access to the training materials is valid for 90 days once a key is activated in a course. Enrolment keys are valid for one use only, and cannot be re-used or reset.
* Prices subject to change without notice.
Frontline Food Safety -- Online Training
The Frontline Food Safety (FFS) online training course will help team members in food service and food retail operations learn how to prepare and serve safe food. It will help them follow safe food handling practices, policies and procedures in their workplace. This course is based on standards established in the Food Retail and Food Services Regulation and Code (FRFSRC), and recommendations from Health Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency CFIA.
What is included in the course fee?
The cost of this course is $45.95* + applicable taxes. This fee covers:
- Access to the training modules;
- Access to the electronic (PDF) versions of the infographics and other job aids;
- Jurisdictional variances (ie. if a province, territory or municpality has alternate requirements or recommendations).
This coures fee does NOT include the certification exam or proctor fees.
* Prices subject to change without notice.
This course has 16 modules. Learners must successfully complete all 16 components to be eligible to attempt the Certification Exam.
- A brief welcome
- The importance of food safety
- Regulations (federal, provincial and municipal)
- Biological hazards
- Other food safety hazards (chemical, physical and allergens)
- Hygiene (personal)
- The thermometer (selection and calibration)
- An introduction to the flow of food (identify the 5 main areas)
- Storage (refrigerated, frozen, dry goods, etc.)
- Food preparation
- Food safety programs
- Facilities and equipment(buildings, utilities, selection and maintenance)
- Cleaning and sanitization
- Pest control
Our online food safety training courses feature:
- Modules that are professionally narrated so you have the benefit of viewing and hearing the content.
- Courses that are full of rich media such as images and short video clips.
- Interactions to demonstrate best practices, customisable by industry.
- Case studies that are specific to the chosen industry.
- Interactive images representing various scenarios.
- Job aids that can be downloaded (PDF) for future reference.
- Quizzes in each module to measure your knowledge and help prepare for the exam.
- The ability to stop a module and resume again at any time (within the initial 30 days).
- Support is available via online chat, toll free telephone, email and remote computer support.
You can take the online training at your own pace. The typical time is approximately 6 to 8 hours to complete all of the lessons. Depending on your experience and education it may take more or less time. Your access to the training is valid for 30 day. Access to the exam is only available once the training has been completed, and remains available for the duration of the original 90 days.
To successfully complete the FFS online program learners must complete all modules with the minimum grade required within each (generally 70%, but some are 80%). Learners can review any module and make additional attempts at the quiz in order to achieve the required grade.
Once the learner has completed all modules, options for the certification exam will appear within the training. There is a brief description of each option, and the learner can determine which option best suits their situation and needs. These options remain available for the duration of the 90 days, only if the training modules were completed prior to the initial 30 days.
The final step to complete the FFS Certification requires learner to write the frontline version of the food safety certification exam. This is outlined in more detail in the "Certification Exam" panel.
Frequently Asked Questions
This resource provides answers to frequently asked questions. You can search the complete FAQ database or read through the FAQs in each category.
- Enrolment Information
- Course Information
- Proctor Information
- Certification Exam
- Technical Requirements
Our food safety programs have been accredited by the governing health authorities in all provinces and territories across Canada.
What does "
"Accreditation" is a process of validation in which institutes of learning are evaluated. In this case, the standards of accreditation are set by government health authorities for each province, territory and, in some cases, municipalities. Receiving accreditation means that the material presented in our training program and examinations meets or exceeds the standards put forth by the evaluating organization. Food safety accreditation is based on two parts: training and examination. Both components are required in order to receive food safety certification, as outlined by the governing health authorities.
Search our accreditation database
To view all accrediations, please click the button below to access our searchable database
Search the database...
Why is it needed after the training?
Our accreditation from health authorities is based on two components:
- Completion of the Frontline Food Safety program, either in-class with a Certified FFS Trainer, or online through the FFS Online Training; and
- Successful completion of the FFS Certification Exam, either on paper or online.
The certification exam is required to demonstrate retention and understanding of the concepts presented within the training. Test takers will be challenged to show the ability to apply the information in situations that more-accurately reflect the daily functioning of a food service operation.
What is it?
The Frontline Food Safety certification exam consists of 60 questions. Full certification with FFS requires a minimum grade 70% (42/60) on the exam.
Questions presented in the exam reflect all of the different components of the FFS training program.
Who is eligible to write the certification exam?
Prior to writing the food safety certification exam for FFS, you will be required to provide proof of eligibility. Eligibility is based on meeting any 1 (one) of the following criteria:
- Completion of FFS Online Training, or
- Completion of FFS in-class training with a Certified FFS Trainer, or
- An unsuccessful certification exam attempt within the previous 6 months.
PLEASE NOTE : Those wishing to re-certify with FFS must complete the training again (online or in class). No one may re-certify in Frontline Food Safety without meeting one of the above-mentioned criteria within the preceeding 6 months.
All food safety certification exams must be written in the presence of someone specifically authorized to administer exams with our organization. The exam administrator will explain the rules, and provide guidance prior to the start of the exam. Once the exam begins, the exam administrator will observe the process to ensure that all rules are followed, but will not offer any assistance (including clarification of questions, translation of questions, or any guidance that would help lead a test taker toward the correct answer).
For those learners who are unable to make arrangements to have a proctor physically present in the room with them, the exam may be written with a web proctor. This service allows the test taker to connect online to one of our affiliated web proctor organizations. While connected, the web proctor will monitor the test taker via web cam, and will audit computer activity, to ensure that all rules are being followed.
Certified FFS Trainers and Certified FFS Proctors are NOT permitted to provide exam administration via web cam. All Certified FFS Trainers and Proctors must physically be in the same room with a test taker in order to administer the FFS Certification Exam. Anyone wishing to use the web proctor service must follow all of the steps within the FFS Online Training in order to schedule, purchase, connect and complete the FFS Certification Exam.
How to write the certification exam
Once a user has successfully completed all of the modules within the online training, a new section will become visible. This section is titled "Preparing for the certification exam."
The preparation section provides the learner with four options:
- Writing the exam in the presence of an authorized exam administrator through a previous arrangement (for example, if an organization has Certified FFS Proctors on staff, or if the learner has already made arrangements with an independant Cerftified FFS Proctor). This option may or may not incur additional fees for the learner, depending on the situation.
- Using our affiliated web proctor service (this has the opportunity to provide the fastest exam option, as users have access to the exam schedule as soon as the training is complete).This option has an additional user fee of $53.25.
- Submitting a form to request arrangements for an exam administrator (for example, if the learner does not have a webcam, or if the learner wishes to write the exam on paper). There will be additional fees associated with this option, as there is a fee for the exam, plus the exam administrator will charge a proctor fee (there may be shipping costs, as well, if the leaner chooses the paper form of the exam, instead of the online version).
- The user may choose not to complete a certification exam (these users will not receive a certification with our ogranization, but they will have gained knowledge and understanding of food safety).
For more information regarding the various formats and conditions that we offer for certification exams, please visit the FAQ entry "What are the options for writing the certification exam?"