Become a Certified Food Safety Trainer
Who should attend NFSTP Train-the-Trainer sessions [Française]
These sessions are suitable for individuals who have a background in foodservice, food safety or related fields and a basic knowledge of food safety principles and best practices.
- Educators from high schools and post secondary institutions,
- Corporate trainers,
- Health inspectors and,
- Others with relevant experience or training.
Please note that as part of the Train-the-Trainer course, all participants will be tested on their food safety knowledge and that Restaurants Canada reserves the right to withhold NFSTP trainer certification until a sufficient degree of food safety knowledge is demonstrated.
To become a NFSTP trainer you must meet one of the following criteria:
- Have taken a nationally recognized food safety program (i.e. NFSTP, ServSafe, ADVANCED.fst, or FoodSafe level 2) in the past 5 years with a score of 90% or higher; or
- Have taken a CTHRC train-the-trainer course; or
- You are a Public Health Inspector; or
- You are a Registered Dietitian, Nutritionist or equivalent; or
- You are en educator (high school or post secondary); or
- You are an independant food safety consultant/trainer; or
- You are a Corporate Trainer.
What you will learn
The Train-the-Trainer sessions will help you develop the training skills you need to effectively deliver the National Food Safety Training Program. Course content includes:
- Practical Lesson Planning
- Determining Training Needs
- Working with Adult and Special Needs Learners
- Communication Skills for Trainers
- Effective Use of NFSTP Training Aids
- Practice Training Session and Evaluation
- Administering an NFSTP Training Session
- Additional Training Resources
At the conclusion of the Train-the-Trainer sessions, successful participants will receive NFSTP Trainer certification.
(The NFSTP replaces Restaurants Canada's National Sanitation Training Program (NSTP).
Restaurants Canada has established high standards for its NFSTP trainers. In order to be certified, participants must successfully achieve the following:
- A minimum mark of 90% on a NFSTP examination (based on the NFSTP curriculum)
- A minimum mark of 80% on a Train-the-Trainer test (based on the Train-the-Trainer Participant Guide and in-session discussions)
- Completion of a 10-minute presentation during the Train-the-Trainer workshop (evaluated by the train-the-trainer session leader)
In order to make this new program available to as many potential trainers as possible, these sessions are being offered at $399.00 per participant plus GST/HST and shipping. All related course materials are included in the registration fee.
If you have further questions contact us.
Once you have been registered for the Train-the-Trainer course, you will be automatically re-directed to a 'virtual' online classroom that provides information confirming the location of the training session in your selected city. A receipt for the course registration fee is generated through PayPal and will be emailed to you.
Qualified substitutions are welcome anytime but please notify us immediately.
Cancellations more than 15 business days prior to the course date will receive a refund of the registration fee paid, less a $50 processing charge.
Refunds cannot be issued for cancellations less than 15 business days prior to the course date. If, for any reason, we cancel a course, your entire registration fee will be refunded. Class size is limited to 15. We reserve the right to re-schedule courses that do not have 15 registered participants at least 10 business days prior to the scheduled date.