National Food Safety Training Program -- Online
For Individual Learners
You may enter the course directly by clicking the button below. If you are not already enrolled you will be prompted to enter an enrolment key or pay for immediate enrolment using a credit card or PayPal. The cost of the course is $45.95* + applicable taxes. There is an additional fee for the certification exam.
Note: if you do not have an account on this web site you will be prompted to create one before you can enrol in a course.
Purchase Multiple Enrollment Keys
You can purchase multiple enrolment keys for your employees or students at our online store the FoodSafetyMarket. This option can also be used if you are planning to pay for training for someone else. Enrolment keys purchased through the online store will be delivered within 1 - 2 business days. Enrolment keys do NOT expire; however, enrolment is valid for 30 days once a key is activated in a course.
* Prices subject to change without notice.
National Food Safety Training Program -- Online Food Safety Training
The NFSTP course will help food handlers and management in Food Service and Food Retail operations learn how to prepare and serve safe food. It will help them integrate safe food handling practices into their workplace. This course is based on standards established in the Food Retail and Food Services Regulation and Code (FRFSRC), and recommendations from Health Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency CFIA.
What is included in the course fee?
The cost of this course is $45.95* + applicable taxes. This fee covers:
- Access to the training modules;
- Access to the electronic study notes (PDF);
- An electronic (PDF) certificate indicating eligibility to write the certificate exam, to be presented to the proctor prior to the exam.
This fee does NOT include the certification exam or proctor fees.
* Prices subject to change without notice.
This course has 11 lessons. Learners must successfully complete all 11 lessons in order to generate a Certificate of Achievement. You must generate the Certificate of Achievement to qualify for writing the Certification Exam.
- Introduction to Food Safety
- Biological Hazards
- Other Food Safety Hazards (Chemical, Physical and Allergens)
- Facilities (building and utilities)
- Equipment (calibration, selection and maintenance)
- Flow of Food (best food safety practices from purchasing to service)
- Pest Control
- Hygiene (personal)
- Education (requirements for owner/operators, management and employees)
- HACCP (Food Safety Programs based on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points)
Our online food safety training courses feature:
- All lesson modules are professionally narrated so you have the benefit of viewing and hearing the content.
- Courses are full of rich media such as images and short video clips.
- Each lesson has several interactions to demonstrate best practices.
- Each lesson has a quiz to measure your knowledge and help prepare for the exam.
- Study notes can be downloaded in a PDF for future reference.
- Leaners can stop the course and resume from where they left off at any time.
- Navigation allows the learner to move back and forward throughout the lessons.
- Support is available via online chat, toll free telephone, email and remote computer support.
You can take the online training at your own pace. The typical time is approximately 6 to 8 hours to complete all of the lessons. Depending on your experience and education it may take more or less time. Your enrolment is valid for 30 days. This enrolment does not include the certification exam.
To successfully complete the NFSTP Online Training learners must complete all lessons with an overall average score of 70% or higher. Learners can review any lesson and attempt the quiz in order to achieve the required grade.
Once the learner has completed the NFSTP Online Training they can generate a Certificate of Achievement. This demonstrates they have met the requirement to write the final exam – it is not your certification document.
The final step to complete the NFSTP Certification requires learner to write a final NFSTP Certification Exam. This is a 60 question exam that requires a minimum of 70% (42 of 60 questions) to pass. Learners must show their Certificate of Achievement to their exam Proctor to verify their completion of the NFSTP Online Training. Upon successful completion of the exam, the learner will be designated NFSTP Certified and will receive a NFSTP Wallet card.
Frequently Asked Questions
This resource provides answers to frequently asked questions. You can search the complete FAQ database or read through the FAQs in each category.
- Enrollment Information
- Course Information
- Proctor Information
- Certification Exam
- Technical Requirements
The National Food Safety Program has been accredited by the governing health authorities in all provinces and territories across Canada.
What does "
"Accreditation" is a process of validation in which institutes of learning are evaluated. In this case, the standards of accreditation are set by government health authorities for each province, territory and, in some cases, municipalities. Receiving accreditation means that the material presented in our training program and examinations meets or exceeds the standards put forth by the evaluating organization. NFSTP accreditation is based on two parts: training and examination. Both components are required in order to receive NFSTP certification, as outlined by the governing health authorities.
Search our accreditation databse
To view all NFSTP accrediations, please click the button below to access our searchable database
Search the database...
NFSTP accreditation from health authorities is based on two components:
- Completion of NFSTP training, either in-class with a Certified NFSTP Trainer, or online through the NFSTP Online Food Safety Training; and
- Successful completion of the NFSTP certification exam, either on paper or online.
What is it?
The NFSTP certification exam consists of 60 questions. Full certification with NFSTP requires a grade of 70% (42/60) or higher on the exam. Participants in any form of NFSTP training (in-class or online) do not have solitary access to the certification exam. Access to the exam (paper or online) can only be granted by a Certified NFSTP Trainer, Certified NFSTP Exam Proctor, or while connected to our affiliated Web Proctor service.
Who is eligible to write the certification exam?
Prior to writing the NFSTP exam, you will be required to provide proof of eligibility. Eligibility is based on meeting any 1 (one) of the following criteria:
- Completion of NFSTP Online Food Safety Training (including the generation of the Certificate of Achievement), or
- completion of NFSTP in-class training with a Certified NFSTP Trainer, or
- re-writing the exam following a previous unsuccessful attempt, or
- re-certification based on NFSTP Certification expiry.
Please note that training or re-certification from any program other than NFSTP will not meet the eligibility requirements for this exam. Only NFSTP training/re-certification is acceptable.
All NFSTP certification exams must be written in the presence of a Certified NFSTP Trainer or Certified NFSTP Exam Proctor. The trainer/proctor will explain the rules, and provide guidance prior to the start of the exam. Once the exam begins, the trainer/proctor will observe the process to ensure that all rules are followed, but will not offer any assistance.
For those learners who are unable to make arrangements to have a proctor physically present in the room with them, the exam may be written with a web proctor. This service allows the test taker to connect online to one of our affiliated web proctor organizations. While connected, the web proctor will monitor the test taker via web cam, and will audit computer activity, to ensure that all rules are being followed.
Using a proctor
There are 3 (three) possible ways to write the NFSTP exam:
- on paper, with a trainer/proctor in the room;
- online, with a trainer/proctor in the room;
- online, while connected to our affiliated web proctor service.*
Paper exams usually require about 2 weeks to process before exam results are released. With the two online exam options, results are displayed on the screen as soon as the final question is submitted. Passing an online exam also allows an electronic certificate to be generated, in case immediate proof of completion is needed for employment or health authorities.
If you are taking the training through your organization, there is a good chance that a proctor for your exams has already been arranged. Contact your supervisor or someone within your organization to let them know that you have completed your online training. You will be required to prove eligibility prior to scheduling the exam.
If you need to arrange for an exam, use the button below to request a proctor, and our team will be happy to assist you.
Request an exam proctor
*To make use of our affiliated web proctor service you must have a computer with a stable internet connection, a web cam, and a private space without anyone else present or walking through.
Proceed with the exam
If you have already made your exam arrangements, and you are prepared to write it at this time, please select the appropriate exam option below.
|Proctor Present||Web Proctor|
|I am a Certified NFSTP Proctor, or my proctor is in the room with me.
|I am connected to a web proctor.|
Enter web proctored exam