Food Safety Training Program -- Train-The-Trainer
This course is designed for those who are interested in becoming certified trainers with FoodSafetyMarket. Trainers are able to deliver the food safety training programs in classroom settings, and invigilate food handler certification exams on paper or online.
Who Should Take the Course?
These sessions are suitable for individuals who have a background in foodservice, food safety or related fields and a basic knowledge of food safety principles and best practices.
- Educators from high schools and post secondary institutions,
- Corporate trainers,
- Health Inspectors, and
- Others with relevant experience or training.
Please note that as part of the Train-the-Trainer course, all participants will be tested on their food safety knowledge and that we reserve the right to withhold trainer certification until a sufficient degree of food safety knowledge is demonstrated.
To become a trainer you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Have taken a nationally recognized food safety program (i.e. NFSTP, MFS, FFS, ServSafe, ADVANCED.fst, or FoodSafe level 2) in the past 5 years with a score of 90% or higher; or
- Have taken a CTHRC train-the-trainer course; or
- You are a Public Health Inspector; or
- You are a Registered Dietitian, Nutritionist or equivalent; or
- You are an educator (high school or post secondary); or
- You are an independent food safety consultant/trainer; or
- You are a Corporate Trainer.
If you have other qualifications that you feel qualify you to become a trainer please contact our head office at 1-888-829-3177. Evidence of your qualifications will be required.
The Train-the-Trainer sessions will help you develop the training skills you need to effectively deliver our food safety training programs.
Course content includes:
- Practical Lesson Planning
- Determining Training Needs
- Working with Adult and Special Needs Learners
- Communication Skills for Trainers
- Effective Use of Training Aids
- Practice Training Session and Evaluation
- Administering a Training Session
- Additional Training Resources
Some of the features of our TTT class are:
- All participants will receive their own full-colour copy of the Student Workbook.
- All participants will receive a copy of the Train-The-Trainer Participant Guide
- All classes are led by master trainers.
- Information is presented through Powerpoint presentations, product demonstrations, as well as through class interactions.
The TTT course is typically run over 2 days. At the end of the first day, participants requiring food safety certification have an opportunity to write the food safety certification exam. On the second day, there is a short review period, then all participants will write the Trainer certification exam. Afterwards, all participants will be required to do a short presentation on a previously assigned topic.
We have established high standards for our trainers.
Designation as a certified trainer with us is contingent on three levels of evaluation:
- Food safety knowledge: trainers must receive a grade or 90% or higher on the food safety certification exam. Trainers who re-certify must also maintain this level.
- Presentation skills: trainers must receive a passing grade on the in-class presentation (as evaluated by the session leader).
- Knowledge of training practices: trainers must receive a grade of 80% or higher on the Train-The-Trainer exam.
Certified trainers will receive an official food handler wallet card, with Trainer ID provided on the back.
Upcoming TTT Sessions
For the most part, our Train-The-Trainer courses are offered in the Spring and Fall. Our most popular locations are Toronto and Calgary, with Moncton also becoming more regular.
|Date:||January 17th & 18th, 2019|
8:30am - 5:00pm (both days)
|Cost:||$449 + applicable taxes|
|Location:||Fairfield Inn & Suites Toronto Airport|
3299 Caroga Drive
Mississauga, ON L4V 1A3
Main: (905) 673 - 9800
If you require a room we have blocked 10 rooms under "FoodSafetyMarket Train the Trainer." To receive the overnight rate for our group ($149), use this link. **To receive this rate you must book by December 16, 2018.
Overnight guests receive free parking and free breakfast.
|Language||This class will be conducted in ENGLISH ONLY.|
|Extra Info||Parking: $20/day (free for people staying at the hotel by providing a plate number upon check-in -- do not put money in the parking meter before you check-in, as you will not receive a refund.)|
Meeting Room: Pearson A
Coffee,Tea and muffins provided during the morning break.
Coffee and Tea provided during the afternoon break.
Lunch is not provided, but there are several options available within walking distance.
Frequently Asked Questions
This resource provides answers to frequently asked questions. You can search the complete FAQ database or read through the FAQs in each category.
- Enrollment Information
- Course Information
- Certification Information
Full certification as a trainer
When all of your evaluations are complete and your grades have been verified, you will be notified by someone from the FoodSafetyMarket team. Successful participants will be asked to complete the Trainer Agreement. Once the completed agreement has been returned to us, you will be provided with privileged access to the FoodSafetyMarket online store, and receive credentials for proctoring food safety certification exams online, through the FSM Campus.
Access to the FoodSafetyMarket online store
All training and exam materials are purchased through the FoodSafetyMarket online store. Certain materials, such as exam booklets, are not available to the general public, and are only accessible to store accounts with specific privileges.
You will receive an email providing your new username and password for the FoodSafetyMarket online store. This email will also contain instructions outlining how you will place your orders for training materials and exams. There is also a fairly detailed FAQ on the store outlining what you will need to order for various types of training.
Proctor credentials for online exams
All certified trainers are automatically certified to invigilate certification exams. These exams may be administered after the completion of training.
Trainers and proctors will be required to enter their proctor credentials at the start of the exam in order for the test taker to proceed.
This proctor username and password will be provided by our head office. You will receive an email with this information, as well as instructions for proctoring online exams.